Thursday 15 August 2013

Phil Bradley's weblog: Google drops synonym search

My Photo

 Google is going from bad to worse. They had the option of a synonym search, using the tilde "~" character - so a search for ~beginner would return hits for beginners, tutorial, primer and so on. It was an amazingly useful resource - for obvious reasons. It was one of THE key search functions that I would talk about when training and when using the search engine myself. And they've killed it. It's just gone. A search for ~beginner returns exactly the same results without the use of the tilde symbol. I have no words left to describe the short sighted stupidity of Google in doing this. They are wrecking whatever useful functionality they had for no good reason. I wonder what's going to go next? It wouldn't surprise me at all if they now get rid of the entire advanced search functionality in one fell swoop. They clearly don't want people to think, or do anything vaguely complicated to make their lives easier. Google search is continuing to degrade at a frightening rate.

 Google drops synonym search

No comments:

Post a Comment